Leading Sire 2008
Magnum . . . Unchallenged . . . Unparalleled . . .Unequaled
By Jo West Lauter
(J. L. Hardesty)
As I sit down to pen yet another tale of Magnum’s superlative performance as a sire, I struggle to find a new set of words, a new approach to a story I, and others, have told again and again throughout the not-so-long life of this extraordinary horse. I’ve had the great honor of being the chronicler of Magnum’s history since he began his career under the masterful guidance of Mr. David Carl Boggs.
I met and fell in love with the brilliant chestnut Magnum when he was a yearling in 1996. As time has passed, my regard for this horse has increased exponentially. From the beginning, everyone with whom he came in contact knew that he was unique in all the world––an almost perfect individual––a stallion beyond compare. But we didn’t know––couldn’t have known––the half of it.
As we watched Magnum grow and mature and achieve fame as an unparalleled show horse, those of us who cared for him hoped that he would be a good sire. But I think I can speak for all of us when I say . . . no one suspected that this exquisite show horse would become the unequaled sire he is today.
Magnum began to show us––early on––that he was prepotent, giving us one foal after another that carried his amazing balance and beauty and size. Repeatedly he gave us sons and daughters that could win as he had done. But still, we could not fathom the extent of his greatness. Oh, we used all the right words to describe him and to tell the world what he was doing. But nothing we said could escape the realm of understatement. There was just too much to him. He existed, you see, on a plain beyond our frame of reference.
Today, he will not be denied. And, although we are still limited by mere words, the symphony that IS Magnum soars beyond anything we have ever known. Today he reigns supreme, in a class by himself, utterly peerless.
Although I admit to feeling hamstrung by the language of records that cannot fully articulate all that I wish I could find the lyrics to express, I’ll share once more the highlights of a career that can only be elucidated as beyond belief.
For the sake of timeliness, let’s look first at Scottsdale, 2008. But before we discuss this year’s triumph––just to keep things in perspective–– we should clarify the fact that Magnum has been the leading sire of halter winners at Scottsdale EVERY YEAR since 2001 when his first foals entered the ring at this most prestigious of all competitions for the Arabian horse.
So here it is . . . Scottsdale, 2008
Magnum Psyche is the sire of:
- 13 Scottsdale Champions
- 10 Scottsdale Reserve Champions (Including JJ La Estrella, Reserve Supreme Champion)
- 62 Scottsdale Top Tens
As soon as Magnum’s sons and daughters were old enough to compete in performance, they began to prove their merit as riding horses. At Scottsdale 2008, the offspring of Magnum earned a dozen titles in various Hunter Pleasure and Western Pleasure categories. These honors are included in the above figures.
Magnum –– THE Leading Sire of the New Millennium!
Magnum’s first foals were born in 1999. In 2000, those youngsters began taking the show ring by storm, as had their sire before them. Thus far, the Arabian horse show arena of the twenty-first century belongs to Magnum Psyche. With over 400 champion offspring throughout the world—to date—Magnum has obliterated previous siring records by earning the following unparalleled honors:
• SCOTTSDALE ~ Leading Sire in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, and 2008 (07 and 08 halter and performance).
• UNITED STATES NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ~ Leading Sire of Halter Champions in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and 2007.
• CANADIAN NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ~ Leading Sire of Halter Champions in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 2005, 2006 and 2007.
• ARGENTINE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS ~ Leading Sire in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006.
• BREEDERS SWEEPSTAKES ~ Leading Sire of Champions in 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.
• LEADING JUVENILE SIRE 2001, 2002 and 2003, setting an all-time industry record. (Note: he was only eligible for this honor in the years he earned it.)
• MINNESOTA ARABIAN HORSE BREEDERS FALL FESTIVAL (the richest futurity in the country) ~ Leading Sire of Champions 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006 at the.